Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Home Store



Awhile back I posted about how we were working with Cole on earning an allowance based on chores he could do around the house on top of his normal day to day responsibilities.  Well, that broke us - fast!  Cole learned very quickly how the system worked and would do more and more things to help out (which was great) in order to earn more money.  We hadn't thought the entire thing through, I guess, because we were not ready to deal with him doing so well.  I know that sounds crazy but it was seriously costing us a bundle.  We were so very proud of him and did not want to discourage him so I began a search for something different.  I found this idea on pinterest and it has been such a fun way to pay him for his work.  Cole has things he is expected to do each day but when he is caught going above and beyond we take note.  If he has had a good week then on Saturday morning he receives one quarter to go shopping in our home store....a basket I made filled with little dollar store prizes.  Wouldn't you know that the good feeling he gets from helping and earning a prize is the same whether it is a dollar store prize or a toy store prize.  He loves looking through "the store" and selecting what he would like that week.  It has been really fun and rewarding for all of us!

No comments: